Are Crayola Markers Toxic?

Crayola is one of the most popular brands of markers on the market, but some parents are concerned about the safety of their children using them.

So, Are crayola markers toxic?

An independent toxicologist evaluated Crayola and found it does not contain any known toxic substances at enough levels to harm the human body, even if ingested or inhaled. Although, it is never recommended to inhale or ingest anything that is not edible.

Are Crayola Markers Toxic

What Are Crayola Markers Made Of And What Do They Contain?

Crayola Ingredients

Crayola will not disclose every component utilized in the production of their famous stationery, but they do guarantee that all raw materials acquired from vendors are tested for contaminants and quality checks with Toxicologists.

Having a child with allergies may be an extremely daunting prospect, and it might add to your concerns that other families do not have to deal with.

Crayola can only speak for the goods they produce in their factories, not other Crayola-licensed items such as food or personal care products.

Fortunately, Crayola has published a list of all the allergens that are not included in their products, which include:

  • Peanuts
  • Tree nuts
  • Milk
  • Casein
  • Eggs (including shell)
  • Sesame & Sesame oil
  • Fish
  • Shellfish
  • Whey
  • Cinnamon
  • Nut & Nut oil
  • D&C Red Dye

The only allergen they mention is that latex gloves could be worn throughout the production and distribution process of their raw materials, additional components, or completed goods during manufacturing.

Always check the packaging of any item for the particular manufacturer’s information you’ll need to determine whether a product is appropriate for your child.

Are Crayola Markers Toxic?

Crayola markers are frequently blamed for the worry of caring parents. “Are Crayola markers dangerous?” they wonder.

There’s no need to be concerned since these markers are extremely safe for your infant. However, I don’t mean that your youngster can consume a lot of it. It implies that if you find your baby chewing on the marker, you must do everything possible to ensure it does not happen again.

After all, it’s not food. Crayola markers do not contain hazardous chemicals. These biomarkers do not react with the body to cause allergic responses. There are no chemicals in these markers that might be harmful to the fetus.

If the baby has only consumed it in tiny amounts, you don’t need to be concerned. However, if ingested in large amounts, an allergic reaction might occur. So, take a deep breath; this is unlikely to happen.

Are Crayola markers dangerous? A fast answer is no. If the infant has inadvertently ingested it, make sure it doesn’t happen again.

What Will Happen If My Baby Consumes Crayola Marker?

Well, don’t be alarmed if your child ate the Crayola marker. It doesn’t react right away, anyhow. Even in smaller amounts, crayons are completely safe. This is because they do not include any hazardous chemicals that may affect your baby’s body.

However, when consumed in greater amounts, it can induce an allergic response in the newborn. These crayons contain a tiny quantity of chemicals. When you discover your youngster with the crayons, you must instantly stop him. You may notice that your youngster is sobbing because of stomach pains. If necessary, see a doctor.

Can My Kid Choke On Crayola Markers?

Choking can occur if your mischievous infant has eaten the crayon’s tip. Babies can choke on anything that gets trapped in their tiny throats. He might nosh on the top while fiddling with it. Choking may result from this, so you should call 911 without hesitation.

When your youngster’s excessive panting, head shaking, weak screaming, or dry coughing are visible symptoms of crayon usage, you’ll know he has eaten them.

You may find a solution sooner rather than later, but doing so might be hazardous. Instead, take him to the doctor as soon as possible and explain the problem to him.

Are Crayola Markers Toxic? – Health Risks Associated With It

There are a few health risks associated with accidentally ingesting Crayola. The biggest risk is choking. If a child swallows a piece of Crayola, it can block their airway and cause them to choke. Crayola can also be a choking hazard if it is inhaled into the lungs.

Another health risk associated with Crayola ingestion is constipation. Crayola can absorb water in the intestines and cause hard stools that are difficult to pass.

In rare cases, Crayola ingestion can also lead to intestinal blockage. If your child has ingested Crayola, it is important to watch for any signs of choking or difficulty breathing. If they start to experience these symptoms, call 911 immediately.

How Can I Prevent The Baby From Eating Crayola Markers?

I realize you don’t want to take away your baby’s favorite pastime, such as coloring. However, when you consider the question, “Are Crayola markers hazardous?” It makes you feel ill. Don’t worry, and you may certainly minimize the number of markers your baby consumes.

Babies, like most newborns, have a proclivity for putting everything in their mouths, whether it’s toys or anything else. The same is true of Crayola markers. When they’re teething, they’ll put everything in their mouths for relief, guaranteed.

You may give the infant teething rings for a few dollars. When they’re teething, don’t let them touch the markers.

Other Ways To Have Fun

Maybe you have an older child who uses Crayola Markers and is looking for more age-appropriate play ideas for your infant. Here are some of our favorite play ideas for little ones who put everything into their mouths. These are free from toxic substances so try them out.

Edible Yogurt Paint

To make some delectable, safe, and delicious paints for your baby to create a masterpiece with, simply combine his or her favorite yogurt with a hint of food coloring.

Cereal Pour and Scoop

To help with fine motor development, sensory bins (such as tuff trays and huge plastic storage containers) are an excellent method to contain the mess while also teaching your child how to pour and scoop.

Edible Playdough

Crayola’s playdough is another popular item! To produce your taste-safe playdough mix, microwave 2 cups of marshmallows, 2 teaspoons of coconut oil, and 10 tablespoons of cornstarch.

Ice paintings

This is a great method to cool down on a hot day while also soothing your child’s gums if they’re in the middle of a teething phase. Simply freeze water and food coloring into popsicle molds and paint over them with paper.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q1: Is it possible to make lipstick, eyeliner, or other cosmetics with Crayola Crayons?

Ans: While Crayola produces the safest non-toxic goods for children, they do not recommend using them instead of makeup. This is because Crayolas are not subjected to the same testing as beauty and cosmetics items, and are not manufactured or tested for such frequent skin contact.

Q2: Are crayola markers dangerous to eat?

Ans: All Crayola items are certified and non-toxic, which means they’re safe to consume. However, you should keep an eye on the individual for any indications of distress or sickness.

Q3: Are Crayola markers dangerous to skin?

Ans: Crayola products are not meant to be used on the face or skin, thus they discourage this type of usage.

Q4: How can I clean up a Crayola marker stain?

Ans: Most surfaces will come clean with soap and water. For clothing, launder as usual. If the stain persists, pretreat it with a laundry pre-treatment product before washing again.

Q5: What is the warranty on Crayola products?

Ans: Crayola stands behind its products’ quality and performance. If you are not satisfied with a product, they will replace it or refund your purchase price, whichever you prefer.

To receive a replacement or refund, please return the product to the store of purchase or contact Crayola customer service for instructions.

Q6: Do Crayola products ever expire?

Ans: No, Crayola products do not expire. However, we recommend that you use them within two years of purchase for optimal performance.


Crayola states that their markers are “nontoxic” and safe for children. It should be noted that while Crayola markers are considered safe, they might still be harmful if consumed. As a result, it is critical to keep them out of reach of little children who may put them in their mouths.

My name is Mark Joseph, and I’m on a mission to help new parents navigate the world of parenting. With over 5 years of experience as a parenting coach, I’m here to provide you with insight into all aspects of pregnancy, childbirth, and raising your newborn baby. Instagram Linkedln Facebook

Leave a Comment